Friday, January 18, 2013

Week 1

Quote of the Day: "What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it."

So this is where we live. It's great! It has like 23 windows that we can open to let the air in during the day and AIR CONDITIONING at night. Yes you heard right. We get spoiled with air conditioning. It's crazy because a lot of the time it's not actually THAT hot outside, mostly inside if you leave the windows closed. Anyway it's not actually in the school, but its like 200 feet away. (which is even better in my opinion)
There's a billion windows everywhere :)
So our Native coordinator, Tangs mom, whom we Also call Mom, brought us a huge basket  of fruit and a bag of this delicious Thai candy.  Some of the fruit was stuff I'd never seen before...Like this Rose-Apple (which kinda tastes like a pinetree :)
And this Dragon fruit (I realize we have these in the states, but  none of us had tried them, so it was a big deal :)
The Sunsets here are absolutely beautiful. (This happens to be behind the Buddhist temple across the street. When I took this picture we could here the monks singing and playing there instruments! Pretty awesome)
Nobody wins in Yellow! Guess what color my helmet is!! ha

We bike everywhere and this was before our very first bike ride, and  I'll be honest, it was TERRIFYING. In Thailand they don't really have traffic rules except stop on a red light, and they have NO idea how to use a round-about. haha There are a Ton of trucks and normal cars, there are also about a billion mopeds, but the trucks caught me off guard (especially when I was on my bike inches from them speeding by. Now I feel comfortable riding around town with the girls and its really fun. 
The day before class was crazy. We spend about 10 hours in this room writing our lesson plans for the upcoming week and preparing stuff for class. The last few hours got pretty loopy.
Especially when this little guy came along and we had a mighty adventure defeating him. 

After the first day of teaching (which was pretty scary) we really started having a ton of fun with the kids. We found out that they're pretty obsessed with Gangnum Style so we played it for them during their milk break


These are some of the absolutely adorable kids I teach. I have six in my other class. The kids that I teach are ages 6 and 7 but they are Super advanced for their age. They are in the highest English level that the Imperial Bilingual has so far so we can communicate pretty well, and let me tell you, they are pretty witty. They are suppose to call me Teacher Nesha but I've already received the nick names: Teacher Slow (I made them talk so much on our first activity that we didn't have enough time to finish), Teacher Baby (they think my water bottle looks like a baby bottle) and Teacher Toilet (I honestly don't even know). 







We get to babysit for an hour everyday for the kids who board here, which is only about 6.  We rotate so that two of us babysit every night and its SUPER fun to be able to just play with the kids with out worrying about how much English they're learning. This one is Mee-poo. His brother's name is Moo-pee (Horribly confusing)

Of course, as a teacher, I don't have Favorites, but if  I did..... (This is Phuvit (Poo-vit) he seems like he has an attitude problem at first but really he's just quiet and struggles with his English, he does get distracted easily but that's why its so excited when he's into a lesson!



Action shot. Taking pictures on a bike is quite an adventure!



May or may not be a tickle torture during babysitting 

My fellow teachers whom I Love! Gabby, Sarah, Mckenzie, Linsay, Michaela. We've had so much fun together and much to come. 


People always yell hello when we ride past of just stare, we get that a lot too ha And kids will sometimes run up and give us high fives as we ride past their houses. pretty awesome


Don't let the temporary lack of cars, mopeds and motorcycles deceive you . It's not usually like this :) Usually it's much more fun. 

We found this booth on the side of the road that make amazingly fresh and delicious fruit Icee type things. You just pick whichever fruit combos you want and the guy adds some Ice and a dab of some juice stuff, blend it and Viola....AMAZING. Today he pointed at Green Guava instead of watermelon to add to one of the drinks....genius. 

We stepped into the Market for like half a second because we had to get back to teach tutoring but  just enough time to find these super creepy manikins

Anyway, my first week has been incredible and we haven't even had a ton of time to explore yet! Teaching is so much fun in itself. It is very challenging sometimes but SOO rewarding and I love it. I love how the cooks, gardeners, parents  and EVERYONE we pass in the streets smile every time they see us and everyone seems so loving.

Love from Thailand,
Nesha <3

2 comments:

  1. Nesha and friends! Looks like you are making some amazing life-long friends! you are doing such a wonderful thing! We are so proud of you! you shoud try come coconut in the juice thingy. :)
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I got a pure coconut one yesterday. It was Divine. And it's true, these girls are awesome, we"re sure to be friends forever :)

    ReplyDelete